The majority of the collections at ALPLM are housed in climate-controlled stack areas that are not open to the public for browsing. Visiting researchers may request items for use in the Reading Room, which will be retrieved by staff members.
To discover more about our library's holdings, visit the collections pages. Each department (Audiovisual, Published, Manuscripts, Oral History, and Newspapers on Microfilm) has unique finding aids and search suggestions.
On-site researchers also may use the ALPLM electronic databases. Review the list of Digital Resources. Note that most are accessible only onsite using our public workstations.
How to Access the Reading Room and Library Materials: Researchers must present a valid Researcher's Card. Visitors may obtain a Researcher Card by presenting a valid photo ID and proof of home address (driver's license or state-issued ID are the most commonly accepted forms). To help you access materials, register for an Aeon account before your arrival and consult our card catalog.
All requests for Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library materials are made through our online request system, Aeon. With Aeon you can:
- Submit requests automatically via links in our online catalog or via links in our finding aids
- Submit requests in advance of a visit to the library
- Submit orders for digital scans of library materials
- Track the status of each request
- Access detailed information about your past requests
Review our reproduction policies and fees prior to submitting an order for reproductions.
Materials do not circulate and are to be viewed onsite only. Reading Room staff will review your request and notify you of item availability or issues. Requests will be acted upon during paging hours (M-F 9:00 am-4:00 pm). If you experience issues using the online ordering system or would like to make these requests in person, a librarian will be happy to assist you. To speak with a staff member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-524-6358.
- Laptops or Tablets
- Silenced Cell Phones, calls may be taken in the atrium
- Loose Notes
- USB drives for microfilm scanners
* Personal photographs may be taken in the Research Room, please review our camera policy.
- Backpacks, briefcases, purses, or Laptop computer bags
- Binders or notebooks
- Coats and umbrellas
- Scissors, pocket knives, or other sharp objects
- Food and gum
- Beverages – drinking fountains are available
- Tape or glue
- Post-It Notes
- Pens, markers, highlighters, or any writing utensil that is not a pencil
- Scanners, camera stands, or any related equipment
* All visitors must check all restricted items in a locker or other designated area. Please see the security desk for a locker.