Volunteers are essential to the success of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum (ALPLM). Their energy and enthusiasm help promote this world-class facility. They share the legacy of Abraham Lincoln and the history of Illinois and provide a variety of other services.
Volunteer Department Mission Statement: To assist in providing each guest with a superior experience through a knowledgeable, well-trained volunteer workforce.
Volunteer Department Purpose: The Volunteer Office has been established to develop and maintain an efficient volunteer staff to enhance the guest experience and provide assistance and support to the staff.
The Volunteer Office is responsible for all volunteers within the complex. All volunteer placements are based on:
- Meeting the needs of the ALPLM;
- Meeting the needs of the volunteer;
- Sharing a mutually beneficial relationship
As a volunteer, you will be invited to participate in a number of opportunities, including the chance to work at educational events, assist the library and museum services staff, attend special receptions, provide tours of exhibit areas, and assist the Oral History Department.
Orientation and training programs for new volunteers will be held periodically throughout the year.
- Discounts in the museum gift shop and cafè
- An invitation to our annual volunteer appreciation event
- Check out privileges in our Volunteer Library
- Quarterly Newsletters
- Continuing Education opportunities:
- Free preview of special exhibits
- "Out of the stacks" showcase of library artifacts
- Noteworthy guest speakers
- Bus trips to historic sites
- Reduced conference and seminar fees
- Book discussions
- GROWTH! Participate in exciting continuing education programs
- ENRICHMENT! Meet people from all over the world and from all walks of life
- GIVING BACK! Feel the satisfaction of providing a needed service for your community
- THE WOW FACTOR! Be part of an exciting and state-of-the-art presidential museum from the front line to behind the scenes
Volunteers support the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum daily by welcoming guests, greeting school and adult tour groups, aiding in the historic interpretation of the museum’s exhibits, and assisting library services staff, special events, and presentations. In return, our nearly 600 volunteers make lasting friendships and enjoy educational programs and social activities while championing an institution they love.
Volunteers are asked to work a minimum of two 4-hour shifts per month. As a volunteer you agree to provide services without expectation or the right to compensation. Participation in this volunteer program is not contingent upon membership in any organization, nor are any dues required.
As a volunteer you must:
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Complete a mandatory orientation and attend an interview session.
- Satisfactorily complete basic volunteer training and specific placement training.
- Sign an agreement to continue your volunteer education, and receive final approval by the volunteer coordinator for volunteer placement.
- Have a completed application form, a completed health questionnaire, and a signed and dated Confidentiality of Information Acknowledgement on file.
- Is there a dress requirement?
Yes. We expect our volunteers to project a professional image. Male volunteers will wear khaki slacks; female volunteers may choose to wear khaki slacks or khaki skirt. A choice of a uniform shirt is available. The choices are a long-sleeved oxford and/or short-sleeved polo. Two styles of sweaters and a sweater vest are available. The cost of the uniform items is the responsibility of the volunteer.
- Is there free parking?
Yes. Parking, in the ALPLM parking garage, will be provided for you during your assigned work shifts.
- What are the typical volunteer shifts?
Museum Volunteers can choose a morning or afternoon shift. Morning shifts are from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. and afternoon shifts from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Volunteers are expected to arrive at the museum 30 minutes prior to the start of their shift). Library Volunteers shift times will be determined by the lead staff member within the department they are assisting.
- Do volunteers work at the Library and Museum every day?
Museum volunteers serve seven-days a week from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (The museum is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day). Library volunteers can serve Monday-Friday during normal business hours 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (The Library is closed on all state holidays).
Please complete this application form if you are interested in becoming an ALPLM volunteer.
For additional information, call (217) 558-8872 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Volunteer Information Center
Volunteer Information Center
Volunteers....the heart of the Museum!
Volunteers- Collected from Shared Drive
Pictures Pulled from Monday/ Shared Drive, to serve as the Gallery on the Volunteer's page