The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum will join the fun of downtown Springfield’s Holiday Walks for Winter Nights at the Museum with ballet performances, craft tables for children, ice skating in Union Park, amazing lights and special effects, and free admission (and free parking!) during special hours.
At the ALPLM, the fun begins with colorful, ever-changing lights that will decorate Union Square Park throughout the holiday season.
Winter Nights at the Museum will take place every Wednesday and Saturday from November 25 to December 23. The ALPLM will be open until 7:00 p.m. on these evenings. Here's what you can expect…
* The Copper Coin Ballet Company will perform selections from “The Nutcracker” in the museum’s Union Theater each Wednesday and Saturday, beginning December 6 and running through December 23. The performances will take place at 5:30 p.m. Please click “RESERVE TICKETS” below to select tickets for the performance you wish to attend. “The Nutcracker” follows the magical adventures of Clara and her Nutcracker Prince as they battle with the Mouse King and journey to the Land of the Sweets.
* The fun also includes arts and crafts activities for children at the Winter Wonder Workshop, located in Lincoln’s Cafe. Each week we’ll share different winter-themed craft activities that you can create on-site or take home. Education staff will also share hands-on history activities with a winter wonder twist... it's sure to be "cool," so don't miss out!
* Guests will be dazzled with performances of our famous "Ghosts of the Library" show at 5:15 p.m. and 6:15 p.m. each evening during the downtown Holiday Walks.
* Lincoln’s Café and the Museum Store will both be open late until 7:00 p.m. for the Holiday Walk Nights. Find that unique Lincoln-theme gift item in the store that’s sure to please this holiday season and from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. the cafe will have cookies, hot cocoa, cider, and chili to warm you up!
* Holly, the most festive bus in the SMTD Fleet, will be making special appearances at the ALPLM on the following days: Saturday, December 9; Wednesday, December 13; and, Wednesday, December 20.
* Ice Skating returns to Union Square Park on the ALPLM campus during this year’s Downtown Springfield Holiday Walks!
The students of the Sangamon CEO program will operate the ice skating rink on the following dates/times…
- Saturday, December 9 from 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 13 from 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 16 from 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Skates can be rented inside Union Station for a nominal fee, which helps support Sangamon CEO class activities. Rentals and skate times can be scheduled in advance at iventured-icerink.square.site
Community volunteers will operate the ice skating rink on the following dates/times…
- Wednesday, December 20 from 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 23 from 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Admission for Winter Nights at the Museum will be free beginning at 4:00 p.m. during these evenings, but a donation is suggested of new, unused toiletries for local warming centers. The ALPLM will accept travel-sized shampoo, deodorant, soap and toothpaste, disposable razors, tampons and sanitary pads, socks, and gloves. All items must be new.
Parking in the ALPLM Parking Garage will be FREE during the Holiday Walks on Wednesday evenings from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and ALL DAY on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.