The following park policies are designed to ensure that your visit to Union Square Park is safe and enjoyable. Additional policies and restrictions may apply. Please be responsible for the safety of yourself and your family. Please note that security is not provided. Staff resources are not available, and public restrooms are not available to park visitors. Hours of operation: Open: 8:00 A.M. Close: 10:00 P.M.
• Destruction or misuse of property, landscape, and structures,
• Rollerblades, Skates and Scooters,
• Bicycles and skateboards,
• Glass containers,
• Weapons, explosives or firearms,
• Alcoholic beverages,
• Public intoxication and illegal drug use,
• Open fires,
• Disorderly conduct,
• Climbing, digging, etc.,
• Public indecency,
• Amplification of personal music or talk,
• Sale of food or items, apart from ALPLM staff and hires,
• Smoking or vaping,
• Use or setting up of objects including but not limited to tents, canopies, sound systems, portable
bathrooms, tables, chairs, lights, banners, etc.,
• Gathering of classes, clubs, meeting, etc.,
• Feeding wildlife.
Fastening or attaching any rope, sign, banner, flyer, or another object to any tree, shrub, or park feature on Union Square Park property is strictly prohibited.
The ALPLM prohibits the use of portable washrooms, sound systems, tables, chairs, tents, canopies, or other equipment.
All dogs or domestic animals must be on a leash not longer than six feet and under the control of the person with the animal. All personal, domesticated animals, with the exception of service animals, are prohibited from within twenty-five (25) feet of the gazebo and picnic area. Any person who brings a dog or other domestic animal into the park shall clean up and properly dispose of fecal matter left by the dog or animal under their control.
Parking is available in the Museum Parking Garage, located on the corner of Sixth and Madison Streets. The rate is $.75 per half hour. Hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily.
Union Square Park usage is coordinated through the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum (ALPLM). Please read our park policies and permit application process before submitting your permit application.
1. Events of 15 or more people are required to secure a park permit.
2. Please be sure to complete all sections of the application. All proposed activities are subject to the approval of the ALPLM.
3. Submittal of an application does not grant you a permit; all applications are subject to review.
4. The ALPLM grants a permit to use park space on a first-come, first-serve basis. The ALPLM will not consider your submittal without a completed application.
5. Upon receiving your application, the ALPLM will contact you to inform you of the status of your application. You will be informed of any additional documentation requirements. The ALPLM reserves the right to require additional information or documentation regarding the applicant, applicant’s company, sponsoring company, organization, co-sponsors, participants, activities, or itself. Moreover, the ALPLM may postpone approval of park use permits until receipt of additional requested information or documentation. Failure to submit additional information in a timely fashion may be cause for denial of a permit.
6. The application must be submitted at least 30 days in advance of the event date.
7. Once all requirements have been fulfilled including receipt of all documents a Perk Permit will be issued. Park permits are non-transferable, and a copy of the permit (email) must be present on-site for inspection.
8. Due to maintenance and staffing issues, some dates and times may be unavailable. Applicants will be notified if this is the case.
Please direct questions to:
If you are requesting the use of the sidewalk or street surrounding Union Square Park, you will need to contact the City of Springfield at 217-789-2216 and request a separate permit.