Book Club for Educators: Not Light But Fire
April 4th, 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm
Join author Matthew R. Kay and the ALPLM’s Education team as we read and discuss Not Light, But Fire: How to Lead Meaningful Race Conversations in the Classroom. In this powerful book, Kay makes a compelling case that high school classes are one of the best places to lead difficult conversations about race. As you read, you’ll learn:
• How to recognize the difference between meaningful and inconsequential race conversations.
• How to build conversational “safe spaces,” not merely declare them.
• How to infuse race conversations with urgency and purpose.
• How to thrive in the face of unexpected challenges.
• How administrators might equip teachers to thoughtfully engage in these conversations.
This virtual Book Club for Educators invites you to come as you are, drink what you want, and chat about great books with your peers. This virtual event is free, but registration is required. All participants who read Not Light, But Fire and attend the discussion will receive 6.5 CPDUs.